How to obtain your European certificate? We give you all the steps

29 May 2018 0 Comments Category: blog, expat guide

There are many steps you have to fulfil to obtain Spanish residency, even if you’re part of the EU you still need to get lots of paperwork so you can be legally part of this country. Sadly, not all of them are well explained, so it’s sometimes not as easy as in other parts of the world.

Many expats struggle a little when they try to get the NIE (Identification Number for foreigners). The official web page can be a nightmare for those that don’t yet have perfect Spanish.

For those who’ve already got their NIE, you will know that this is true.

What is the registration certificate and who can get one?

This documents valids your residence in the country with the Central Register of Foreigners, on that paper card will be printed your NIE number, where you live and how long you have been living in Spain. When we say “paper card” it is actually paper. It’s important to know that this piece of paper is not an identification card, it is only to prove your residence in Spain.

“Los ciudadanos de un Estado miembro de la Unión Europea, de otro Estado parte en el Acuerdo sobre el Espacio Económico Europeo o Suiza que vayan a residir en el territorio del Estado Español por un período superior a tres meses están obligados a solicitar su inscripción en el Registro Central de Extranjeros”.

“The citizens of a member state of the European Union or another State party

to the Agreement on the European Economic Area or Switzerland who will reside in the Spanish territory for more than a three months’ period, are required to apply for a registration in the Central Register of Foreigners”

More info here.

This document is only for those who are citizens in which their countries are members of the EU, as follows:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, and the UK (still). (Note that Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland aren’t part of the EU, but they have special agreements in place.)

How can I get one?

After getting your NIE, if you decide that you are going to stay in Spain for a longer period of time, you will need to register the with following documents:

  • Download the official form (EX-18) and fill out and sign all the documentation. Bring a copy and the original.
  • A valid Passport, a copy and the original. In case you’re renewing your passport

because it’s expired, bring a copy and the original with the letter that proves that you’ve asked to renew it.

  • If you work as an employee in Spain (prove it with a copy of employment contract or proof of social security registration).
  • If you are a student and you can prove it with the acceptation copy of the

school or the university. You will also need a document that proves that you have

health insurance, whether in Spain or in your country.

And you will need to prove that you have enough money to pay for your studies and your residence.

  • If you work as a business owner (prove it with a copy of your registration with Spain’s

Commercial Registry or proof of social security registration).

  • If you have enough resources for you and your family in all your time in Spain.

Please be polite. We appreciate that. Your e-mail address will not be published and required fields are marked.